Monday, April 17, 2006

A true mensch

I have a friend at synagogue, a man who taught me how to read the Torah and has been my mentor as a Torah reader for the last several years. He and his wife have grown children my age, and four grandchildren, and have been very supportive to David and I during our infertility and adoption. After services on Friday, he pulled me aside and said "I imagine that this adoption business must be terribly expensive," and I said yes it was. He asked me how much, and I gave him a ballpark estimate. He said he would like to loan me money to help pay for the adoption, a no-interest, indefinite time period loan of up to $10K. I started crying, which is what I usually do when people are kind to me. That is more than either of our families has offered to us (not that I expected them to offer, but still).

So thank you, D, for being a true mensch and a very kind-hearted person. I love that you offered.

2 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I started tearing up when I read this. How absolutely wonderful!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Nina said...

Wow, what an amazing and generous (in spirit as well as financially) person. He probably wouldn't see it as such but oh, what a mitzvah.

And happy belated birthday - hope it was a great one, and the start of a wonderful year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home