Thursday, March 16, 2006

Would you adopt twins?

T called me last week with a twin pregnancy situation. The PBM is in San Antonio and she wants a pretty open adoption with a Texas couple. The babies are Hispanic/Black, and I am waiting to find out if she knows their genders or not. They are due in June. At first we said no immediately, but then I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. So I called her and talked to her about it, and then David and I had a long discussion and did some research, talking to other twin parents and looking at our finances.

We were willing to accept twins during IVF, so it shouldn't be that hard of a decision. Yet, somehow deliberately choosing to adopt twins seemed like a big deal. It is a big deal. But how wonderful it would be! We could fulfill our dream of having two children while I am still under 40. The children would be biological siblings, which is absolutely fantastic. And we'd only have to pay for one adoption and not two. I know it will be hard at first, but all the twin moms say once you make it past the first 6 months to a year, it's wonderful because they have each other. My friends who are twins said they loved having a twin and that it was really special. So, we told T to submit our profile, and we will see what happens.

We also have three other situations we're being presented for, through agencies that my friends pointed me to. One is due at the end of March, and two in June. One of the agencies also has two twin pregnancies and we're going to consider those as well. Crazy, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home