Friday, August 04, 2006

And the drama gets even worse.

The drama gets worse and worse, and I'm nearing my wit's end. I had a long talk with the social worker. We have given $1200 in Walmart cards, and there are receipts, but they are for mostly not allowable expenses. Like men's clothing. And tons of hair products. And tons of school supplies. Only about $450 is allowable and that's if they're being generous, and reality is more like $300. And apparently the judges in her county are very strict and usually require seeing receipts, and have been known to deny the voluntary surrender unless the money gets paid back. The SW read me the list of "food" items and it was mostly all candy, cakes, cookies, and cokes. No milk, no fruit, no vegetables, no FOOD. I am now concerned about how she is eating and taking care of herself.

We decided it was really ultimatum time, and the SW called her and told her she couldn't get any expenses until Monday, when she sees the lawyer. I knew she wouldn't like that, and sure enough, shortly after she called me and left a message, all in tears, about how mean the agency was and she didn't like them and she wanted a different agency or just to use the lawyer and she deserved better treatment because she was giving up her baby. Then after all the long teary drama, she said that she didn't want to bug me with this, but she was just returning my call from the morning. Riiiight.

I left her a message back that the agency was required, we could only use this agency, and that we'd find a way to make things work out, and that she could call me back any time (she didn't). I have to play the good guy in this to maintain our relationship. We are very concerned though about all this working out. Women making adoption plans need to make the effort to do the things required of them instead of making one excuse after another. The social worker said that if she's acting one way with the SW and the lawyer but telling me what I want to hear, that is not a good sign.

But yeah, I'm worried. I am having my baby shower this Sunday, and it just all makes me think I'm tempting fate too much. But I do realize that I can still have a shower for MY baby, even if it's not THIS baby. I hope M gets her act together and realizes this is serious.

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really worried for you! Even though she is creating all sorts of drama, things could still work out. Your family-to-be is in my thoughs!

-waitingfornora
Haiti adoptive mom to be

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to send you some major HUGS!
Hope to hear an update of how the meeting goes today.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dearest I hope you are well...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home