Friday, February 03, 2006

The adoption ride is much more fun than the IVF ride

We spent 24 hours of insanity starting on Wednesday night, when T (my facilitator) called us about a situation. The baby had already been born, and we would have needed to fly to Las Vegas today to pick him up if we were chosen. It was between us and one other couple, and in the end we were not chosen. The other adoptive mother was going to take a full year off then have her mother watch the baby, whereas we can only take 3 months and then baby will be going to the Montessori school for daycare. I am a working mother, and I love my job.

So, while it was insane waiting yesterday, it also was kind of exhiliarating, mostly due to the short timeframe. Surprisingly, I really feel okay about it and didn't shed a single tear. I felt WAY worse after a failed IVF cycle. At least we can keep working on this (no delays!), and I know my baby will be here soon. T says since we are so flexible that it should happen quickly, and she even predicted 2 or 3 more profiles and then it would happen. S he's going to help me redo the profile over the weekend and start getting it out there.

I learned a lot yesterday too - I need to keep a few more things in my adoption file for quick access; my boss and coworkers are amazing; my friends are amazing; my husband was with me every step of the day; I need to buy diapers; and that T is absolutely fuckingamazing. She was so helpful, supportive, gave me frequent updates, and was wonderful throughout the whole day. I feel very very good about using her and know that she is going to find us our baby.

5 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is exhilerating, isn't it! Your child is out there and it's just a matter of time.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger t said...

it's great that you ended up getting so much positivity out of your experience yesterday.

your baby will be coming soon. I can't wait to see that crib filled.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, your baby will be here soon.
Get diapers, baby wipes, and anything else you can get right now......from what I understand - there won't be time for shopping when the baby comes!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jill said...

How wonderful to find out how supportive everyone will be when it really does happen. It will happen soon!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Kimmer said...

Mel,
Just stumbled across your blog. Good luck, how exciting. Love your nursery and floors too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home