Friday, January 13, 2006

The OB/GYN appointment from HELL

I had my annual physical scheduled yesterday. I arrived at the clinic, and had to wait a long time while the highly incompetent receptionist took forever to check in the girl in front of me. Finally it's my turn, and she says she doesn't have me on the books. I said I made the appointment months ago and it was in my Palm Pilot and I could show her my calendar. After spending forever looking (and continually asking me to spell my name and what my birthdate was) she finally finds my appointment - they had scheduled me for January 12, 2005, and not 2006. Doh. Then they tell me the doctor isn't even in the office, and her PA is seeing her patients. The PA agreed to see me, which was fine. Then they told me my insurance doesn't cover a well woman visit. I asked if they could bill it as a sick visit due to my history of cervical dysplasia, but they said no. I said fine, I would pay for the appointment. They are going to bill my insurance for the lab work, since a pap is covered (yes, I'm going to discuss with HR why the pap is covered but the appointment to get the pap is not covered). They didn't call me about my appointment since it didn't exist, so I didn't know I had to come with a full bladder and had just peed. I managed to squeeze out some urine and sat to wait.

So then the insurance lady comes out to talk to me. She says their clinic policy is that whatever doctor I see initially is my doctor, period. I had seen Dr. L and I wanted to see Dr. N. Nobody told me this when I made my appointment. She also said that I had an appointment last January and was a no-show. I had to point out it was their screwup, not mine, and the first time I was there was in October. I told her that I would see the PA yesterday and then find a new clinic if I couldn't see the doctor I wanted. She said she would have to okay the switch with both doctors, and I told her "whatever".

Next I go in and the nurse comes in to do my vitals. None of the health history that I painstakingly filled out by hand (cancer in family, etc) was in my electronic chart. Nice. So I had to answer all those questions again. Then she asked my last menstrual period, and I said "May 23rd" and explained my situation. I told her I was adopting, and had a physical form I needed filled out. She says "oh, you're going to get pregnant now that you're adopting". I explained that was pretty impossible, given my body. She insisted it would happen. I told her the statistics, that only 5% of people who adopt become spontaneously pregnant. She said "I'm sure it will happen for you since you're so sure that it won't". My blood pressure was high for the first time ever from all the stress of this appointment so far.

She left the room and the PA came in, and she asked me about the date of the period, thinking it was a typo. I explained my history to her again. She was very nice and I liked her. I told her she needed to have a discussion with her nurse and I found what the nurse said to me to be extremely offensive, and she agreed and said she would talk to the nurse. I had some blood in my urine so I had to try and squeeze out a few more drops before going home. Fun times.

Then I went to check out, and my paperwork hadn't cleared yet and I had to wait even longer. Finally I get the bill - $394! But then they gave me 5% off for self-pay. Only $170 of that was the doctor visit and the rest will be covered by insurance. The insurance lady called me to her desk and apologized for all the screwups and said I could see Dr. N when I come in the future.

I was boiling by the time I left there. Not such a great way to start a relationship, and I may still find another doctor. This one came highly recommended by my RE though, so I kind of want to stay with her. She just needs fewer idiots on her staff. I may send the office a letter with the contents of this blog post.

UPDATE: my nice HR lady says yes, well woman visits are covered on our insurance. Idiots. I am definitely going to find a new doctor. And I did send a written letter to the office addressed to Dr. N.

ANOTHER UPDATE: the nurse got fired. I got a phone call from Dr. N, and she said this nurse had been repeatedly warned about her "flippant attitude", and my letter was the straw that broke the camel's back. So I guess I'll stay put with this doctor for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home