Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My whirlwind treatment history

Here's a summary of my IF treatment, just for the record.

  • 2/03: Quit BCP
  • 2/04: HSG - right tube inconclusive, left tube clear
  • 12/03 - 3/04: 4 Clomid cycles, last with IUI
  • 5/04: IUI #2 - Femara + Bravelle boosting + Ovidrel (107M, 55M / 90%mot)
  • 6/04: IUI #3 - Bravelle + Pregnyl (81M / 95%mot)
  • 7/04: Laparoscopy and hysteroscopy - cleaned mucus from right tube and a bunch of endo
  • 7/04: Passed Clomid Challenge Test! IUI #4 - Clomid + Pregnyl + 2x mini-dose HCG
    (80M, 74M / 95%mot)
  • 8/04: IVF #1 w/ microdose Lupron overlap protocol
    - Retrieved 15, 11 mature, 7 fertilized. Transferred 3, nothing to freeze.
  • 12/04: IVF #2 with Lupron flare protocol
    - Retrieved 11, 6 mature, 5 fertilized. Transferred all 5.
  • 1/05: Endometrial biopsy shows endometritis - one month of antibiotics
  • 3/05: Repeat hysteroscopy, HSG, and EMB - all clear!
  • 4/05: IUI #5 with microdose Lupron and Gonal-F (114M / 95% mot)
  • 5/05: Final IVF with Cetrotide/microdose HCG/Gonal-F protocol
    - Retrieved 16, 12 mature, 8 fertilized. Transferred 7.
  • 14dp3dt: Beta = 176
  • 18dp3dt: Beta = 908
  • 7/11/05: First ultrasound - saw one gestational sac, yolk sac, and probable fetal pole. No h/b yet.
  • 7/19/05: Second ultrasound - h/b at 95 BPM, measuring about a week behind.
  • 7/26/05: Third ultrasound – h/b at 68 BMP, measuring 3 weeks behind. Bubba didn’t make it.
  • 7/29/05: D&C

    Sadly, I am still technically in the "unexplained infertility" category. We know now that I can get pregnant. The doctor thinks the m/c was likely genetic - there were changes in the yolk sac at my last ultrasound that indicate genetic abnormalities. We had ourselves karyotyped, and the fetal tissue is being analyzed. You'll have to stay tuned for those results, because I don't have any of them yet. They say it can take up to 3 months to analyze the fetal tissue.

    "Unexplained" infertility has got to be the worst diagnosis. Left to my own devices, I am a late ovulator, have a short luteal phase, and minimal cervical mucus due to a cone biopsy in 1990 and a LEEP in 2001. David has great sperm, my tubes are open, and we fixed the uterine infection (likely caused by past exposure to chlamydia, which I never knew I had). I have a decent egg response even though I need high doses of Gonal-F to get them. It's hard to give up on pregnancy when you still have a good chance of getting pregnant. But I can't ride on the IF rollercoaster any more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home